Thursday, August 1, 2013

Our Trip East and Back: Day 2- August 1, 2011: Little to Newcastle.

We woke up early due to the fact that at home we had to getup early to do our chores.  It was hard to keep quite!!!!  After a little while we got up, dressed and packed up our room.

For breakfast we had homemade granola, (that we had brought with us).  After breakfast while the parents got ready and packed up their room, some of the big girls took the little ones down to the play ground.

We left Little America at 9:45 am.

Back on the road, we all fun reading the road signs, billboards and spotting wildlife.  We saw this one billboard that said 'Lost? Try GPS- Gods Plan to Salvation.' 

At about 10:00 am we went through this awesome tunnel that took us through a mountain.  It wasn't that long, but it was cool!!!

The tunnel.

We were driving along looking and talking about how much space there was in Wyoming.  Some of us were reading and doing handwork.  When all of a sudden we pulled over to the side of the freeway.  It was 11:15 am and we had lost oil pressure ans power!!!!  After checking out the van and finding out it would not start, my Mom's husband was going to walk up the road to what looked like a gas station.  We had broken down a mile before an exit.  As he started walking, a semi truck pulled over in front of us.To the joy of some people, he was a trucker some of the children had gotten to honk at them!!!!!  He said he was stopping for gas up ahead and would be glad to give Mom's husband a ride.  About 30 minutes later they came back. A tow truck was with them.  They could fix our van at the shop, but they would not get to it for 1 or 3 days!!!!  As it would take two tow trucks to take us all to Rawlins (the closest town that cold fix the van) where there was a Chevy dealership,so since the trucker was going that way, he said he could take some of us!!!!  So 8 of us went with him while the other 5 went in the tow truck.  I was one of those that got to ride in the semi truck!!!!  It was tons of fun!!!!!

After a little trouble we got started.  We arrived at the dealership at 1:30 pm.

The truck we got to ride in.

We thanked the trucker and then sat in the dealership for three hours while our van was fixed.  I often wonder what the people that worked at the dealership thought when 13 people (5 of them little children under 10!) walked in!!!!  Some of the children had fun playing with some of the workers.

As we got ready to leave it started to rain.   It became a down pour quickly!!!!  We made a dash to the van!!!  We did get a little wet, but not much!

Some awesome mountains we saw just after we left Rawlins.

Same mountains!

Not much happened the rest of the day.  We stopped a few times for gas and restrooms.  Saw wonderful  scenery, some wildlife, and some pretty interesting stuff.  Quite a few oil riggs.

One of the stops was in Casper WY.

We hit ain again as we left Casper.  Also saw a gorgeous double rainbow!!! 

The rainbow!!!!

We arrived at our friends house at 9:47 pm.

It was great to see them again.  We unloaded what we needed and got settled for the night after getting caught up on whats been going on in our lives.  We were in bed by mid-night!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment